Monday, February 28, 2005

Men and their toys ...

Last saturday, as my boyfriend's car emerged from the street's corner, I hurriedly cross the street so I was on the passenger side. With the car behind honking loudly, I jumped in and safely settled myself on his left.
As usual, I rummaged through my huge backpack and secure my wallet to a more convenience spot so I can easily snatch it, the compartment underneath the tape-deck.
It was then that I see this intriguing new thing. It looked a hell lot like a car radio-call, what with the mouth piece and the spiral cords and all those little knobs.
For a moment I thought my boyfriend had utilize his car as a cab, a likely incident, considering his constant whining about the ever sky-rocketting gas price. Then I realized I didn't find any meter in the car.
I grabbed this 'thing' and asked him,
"What's this ? Did you get yourself a radio?"
He befriends a policeman and this friend gave him a simple black-hat with the word 'POLICE' embroidered at the front. He put the hat on the front window of the car, and this little hat worked in tight spots. I saw a clerk mouthing the word 'police' to his friend when sparing us a parking and we didn't have to give him the usual tip.
I couldn't help thinking that this 'radio' is the same sort of thing.
I asked him again with my inquiring gaze, but all I get was a seepish grin.
I simply had to laugh. This 29 year old man, with a posture toughly build on 3-times-a-week free-weight lifting is grinning with the part-happy-part-guilty expression of a 10 year old boy.
'I got a new toy' he said.
Then he confessed that he bought it this morning when looking for a broken instrument of his car. It was having a 'fever' - as men describes it -, meaning the temperature is unusually high, something to do with the radiator.
But I was still curious about what this new toy does, because he refused to say anything about it.
'Come on, what is it? How does this thing work?'
I tried to coax him, but he kept grinning wider and wider.
'We'll see ....'
It didn't help at all.
I was too intrigued to wait for him, so I quickly grab the thing again and pushed the leftmost button.
It was then I heard a deafening honk that seemed to be coming out from ... our car.
So that was it!!! A honk!!!
I laughed heartily. This is kinda fun. I tried the middle button and a siren howled loudly. I burst into a loud fit of laughter.
He silenced it immediately. He looked pleased with my finding-out. His eyes was asking 'so what do you think?' with a silent glance.
'Oh, that's so cool. It could come in handy for those bastards with their motor-bikes' I commented.
He beamed.
'Yeah, that's what I thought.'
I knew he was seeking approval. We had several disagreement about our definition of 'cool stuffs'. And he seem glad that I finally understood.
Well,to be honest, I don't think that a louder honk works on those thick-headed riders, but the siren can be a good shock therapy. Besides, he looked so happy with the honk in his grip. I couldn't help but nod a yes.
Men and their toys..., better leave them alone ...
Now it's my turn to find out what the right button does ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home